Type Here to Get Search Results !

Advertisement

Time You Old Gipsy Man!

 Time You Old Gipsy Man!

(Ralph Hodgson)


JandK BOSE

Time, you old gipsy man,
Will you not stay,
Put up your caravan
Just for one day?
All things I'll give you,
Will you be my guest?
Bells for your jennet
Of silver the best.
Goldsmiths shall beat you
A great golden ring,
Peacocks shall bow to you, 
Little boys sing.
Oh, and sweet girls will
Festoon you with may.
Time, you old gipsy;
Why hasten away?
Glossary___
Gipsy  :  a member of a race found in parts of Europe and America who travel from one place to place in carvanas.
Jennet :  a small horse
Festoon  : to festoon is to decorate a room or other place for a special occasion by hanging coloured paper, lights or flowers around it, espicially in curves.
May : the flowers of the hawthorn tree.

Central Idea: The central idea of the poem, "Time, You Old Gipsy Man" is that time waits for none. A person can only be successful in life if he/she will value time.
Summary: "Time, You Old Gipsy Man" is written by  Ralph Hodgson with reference to time. Here the poet has used metaphor by comparing Time to Old Gipsy Man. The poet says that time never stays just like Gipsys. He offers many things to stop time just for one day like bells of the best silver for his horse, a big golden ring etc. He tries to allure time by saying that peacocks will bow, little boys will sing songs, sweet girls will festoon the time with may. He pleads the time to put up its caravan just for one day, but the time never stays. At last poet realises that it is not possible to stop time.
THINKING ABOUT THE POEM
Answer these questions:
1. Why do you think the poet calls time the 'old gipsy man'?
Answer;- The poet calls time 'old gipsy man' because time does not stop just like gipsies. It could not be stopped.
2. What request does the poet make to time?
Answer;- The poet requests time to stay just for one day.
3. What will happen if time becomes the poet's guest?
Answer;- The different people will honour the time, the poet will give all things to time, like bells of best silver for his horse. Goldsmiths will give a great golden ring, peacocks will bow, little boys sing and the sweet girls will gestoon time with may.
4. The poet in not the only creature that will honour time. There are others also who would honour it. Who are they? What will they give to time?
Answer;- The others who would honour the time are Goldsmiths with great golden ring, peacocks shall bow, little boys sing and the sweet girls festoon time with the flowers of may.
5. Who will sing to time?
 a. sweet girls
 b. littler boys
 c. peacocks
Answer;- b. peacocks
6. What will goldsmiths make for time?
 a. A necklace
 b. A ring
 c. A silver ring
 d. A golden ring
Answer;- d. A golden ring
7. Explain "Festoon with may".
Answer;- To festoon wit may means to decorate the room or place for a special occassion with the flowers of hawthorn tree
Following is the image of the hawthorn tree.
Hawthorn flowers

8. Choose a partner and discuss with him/her why you would/would not like to be a gipsy.
Answer;-  Babar and Shabir 
Babar : Shabir, Do you know who is a gipsy?
Shabir : Yes, it is a person who keeps on travelling from one place to another.
Babar : Does a gipsy have his own home?
Shabir : No, a gipsy does not have a home. A gipsy keeps on wandering.
Babar : Do you think a gipsy life is a free life.
Shabir : No, I feel it is a life of insecurity because a gipsy has no home of his own nor regular work to do. A gipsy has no regular means of livelihood.
Babar : Would you like to be a gipsy?
Shabir : No, I would not like to be a gipsy because. I would like to live a settled life.
Babar : Ok, I too would not like to lead the life of a person who keeps on wandering from place to place.
9. Those people who never waste time succeed in their lives. Do you believe in keeping time in whatever you do in life? Write a short paragraph about how you spend the day from morning till evening.
Answer;- Time is precious once gone it can not be recalled at any cost. Therefore I try my best to use time in a proper day. I wake up early in the morning, take bath and then offer my prayers. After prayers i recite Holy Quran. After that I take my breakfast usually Noon Chai and bread. I revise my lessons and get ready for school. After spending atleast 6 hours in school, I come to my home directly. After refreshing I start my homework till Azan of Aser. Then I offer prayers and after having Noon Chai play for an hour, then I watch news on T.V or play on mobile till it is Magrib Prayer time, after that I revise my lessons and do my homework till Eisha Prayer. After offering my prayers I take dinner. After that I try to complete my homework till 10 o'clock, then I go to bed so as to wake up early at Fajar Azan time.
10. Your terminal examinations are very close. Make a timetable for yourself allocating time for different subjects. Do not forget to keep some time to rest and play also.
Answer;- Students would do it themselves.
∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad

Advertisement